Did you know that your pages can be designed to adapt to a user’s specific location, showing different content to users in different part of the world per Matt Southern.
How you say? Googlebot uses US IP addresses and it may not index all content on location-adaptive pages. Google introduced a newly improved Googlebot i.e. Locale-aware crawling by Googlebot will do the following:
- Geo-distributed crawling: Googlebot appears to be using IP addresses based outside the USA, in addition to the longstanding IP addresses Googlebot uses that appear to be based in the USA.
- Language-dependent crawling: Googlebot crawls with an Accept-Language field set in the HTTP header.
To learn more about the technical aspect of this implementation see: “Use hreflang for language and regional URLs”
After you implement hreflang there is nothing else that needs to get done on your CMS or server settings.
For more information on Matt’s article “Google Improves Crawling and Indexing of Location-Adaptive Pages”
Links To Entity SERPs: Is Your Website Ready?
Great article by Barbara Starr.
With the evolution of the search engines in the direction of semantic search, SERPs have correspondingly evolved. Optimizing for SERPs means taking into account the Knowledge Graph as well as semantic markup.
Semantic markup and Knowledge Graph optimization are just a couple aspects of optimizing webpages for display in Google, and these do not preclude typical best practices. Best practices and standards such as engaging content, a positive user experience or optimizing for user intent still have to be adhered to.
- Make sure to keep Googlebot happy — feed it the data it needs in the formats it needs and ensure your information is machine-readable and consistent across all sources.
- Make sure your on page markup matches what your user sees and also is synchronized with any data feeds you submit.
- Mark up as much data as possible using schema.org, even those attributes not currently supported. This way, you can position yourself to take advantage of changes and fluctuations in Semantic SERPs.
- Remember, search is adaptive and interactive; design for a seamless user experience that flows with SERPs presented by the search engines.
- Knowledge Graph Optimization is more than likely here to stay, so make sure you are prepared to deal with it.
Read the article in detail.